Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Irrepressibles (with film: Tous les Matins du Monde)

     Do you like your pop music a little more baroque? Then you probably love/will love The Irrepressibles. This is a a ten-piece orchestra band from England. The lead singer, composer, and orchestrator is Jamie McDermott. Listening to his voice, I'm automatically reminded of Patrick Wolf and Antony & the Johnsons (a good thing.) I have the critically-acclaimed Mirror Mirror album and love it, as almost anything with good orchestral influence will have me on my knees. My favourite song by far is The Tide:
I first discovered the band thanks to coilhouse (http://coilhouse.net/) where lots of great music and alternative art-related things are posted. Safe to say, this band was an insta-love. My obsession with baroque stems back to the days of my young self learning classical repertoire on the piano, but was recently renewed with the French film Tous les Matins du Monde (All the Mornings in the World) which depicts the life of late 17th early 18th century violist and composer Marin Marais and his mentor Monsier de Sainte-Colombe.

The music of this film is absolutely enchanting (well it is not original to the film, obviously). My pick from the lot would be Le Badinage:

Consequently this film also made me lustful for violas. They have all the elegance and pointedness of a violin, with the deeper silkiness of a cello. And I love how in between the phrases it sounds like inhalation.
(Depardieu as the elderly Marais)

The Trailer:

and you can read up about the film here (very interesting!).
Images from wiki and google.




No comments:

Post a Comment